Saturday 16 June 2012

Have Aliens Landed?

I have to say, I am getting a little tired of this Juneuary weather. Some sun might be nice.......

Still, it means that I am not out birding, which means that I can do "things" around the house. This generally involves installing doors of some description, drywalling or putting up shelving and usually ends up with me in a foetal position on the floor, wimpering and crying, having first put enough change in the swear box to fund a nice holiday in Hawaii. If you haven't got it yet, DIY and I are NOT friends.....

So, since I have just acquired six delightful new companions, I thought I would return to the much safer and less swear-wordy and tear-inducing pastime of macro photography. And here, for your veiwing pleasure (or nighmare-inducing terror), is the result:


And no, it is not really an alien - rather a giant prickly stick insect, Extatosoma tiaratum, all the way from its native Australia (well, to be honest, the local pet store in Ladner, British Columbia).

For those of you with a photographic inclination, the photo was taken with my Nikon D80, 105mm macro lens and this one image is actually a composite of 17 images stacked on top of one another using Helicon Focus stacking software - hence the imprint on the image. I am not actually deliberately advertising the software, I just haven't got around to paying for it yet.........

For More Macro Mondays - go here

9 comments:

Susannah Anderson said...

Sun? What's that?

I'm interested in the stacking software. How difficult is it to use? And do you have to have all 17 images exactly coinciding for it to work?

Don't Bug Me! said...

Hi Susannah,
The software is not actually that difficult to use, and you certainly don't need 17 images - I think that might be a bit over-the top! I suspect 4 or 5 images would be enough. You do need the images to line up, so you really need a macro slider to mount your camera on and a tripod. I also use a remote shutter release to avoid camera shake. If your camera or subject moves, you will get some blur. I certainly had a burry antenna for this shot, so it must have moved while I was taking the series. I might try some more today, but with fewer shots per stack.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Odd looking little fellow. Stacking software sounds like fun but beyond what I can do.

Jama said...

Creepy looking fella!

Min fotogen said...

Nice pic on a alliens!

Stewart M said...

Hi there - interesting picture.

I've been thinking about finding out about this type of software - so little time, so many gadgets!

Stewart M - Australia

Unknown said...

I still think it looks like an alien!

Kate said...

Wonderful creature. I heart stick insects.

Jay at The Depp Effect said...

He's cute!! I love his prickly little face.

I've never heard of stacking software ... must look into it.