Sunday 2 June 2013

Macro Monday - Who? Who?

Who? Who?




 A long-eared owl, that's who!


And yes, I have had far too much coffee.



 And no, I never blink!


And no, those long ear-like feathers are not my ears, those are just feathers. My ears are on either side of my head. The openings are asymmetrical: the left ear opening is higher than the right. This positioning helps me to locate prey by sound and I can catch mice in total darkness just by sound.

The nasty people who caught me in their nets (which I apparently can't see or hear and which managed to catch me THREE times), seemed to be extremely happy with the whole affair. I was definitely NOT amused!

For more More Macro Monday, go here.

11 comments:

Karen said...

Excellent!

Unknown said...

Excellent shots!

Molly said...

Amazing eyes... what a powerful and intense gaze

Mollyxxx

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Interesting eyes on this wise old bird. Was it caught for tagging?

Ida said...

Had to pop by because Owls fascinate me. Wonderful shots.

Pat said...

Wonderful shots!

betty-NZ said...

Simply lovely photos of a magnificent bird! Love your story to go with them.

Jay at The Depp Effect said...

I didn't know that about their ears but it does make sense!

Poor guy, caught in a net three times? But you got some great photos!!

Suldog said...

I love he looks as though you just opened the door on him taking a shower or something.

Along These Lines ... said...

Can't imagain never blinking!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.