Tuesday 6 April 2010

Macro Monday: Things That Make You Go "Wow!"


Come on, you have to admit that this gorgeous creature made you go wow, didn't it?

I would like to introduce to you the leafy sea dragon, Phycodurus eques. These photos were taken quite a few years ago, when Mr. DBM and I were swaning around South East Asia and Australia. They are only found in the chilly waters of the southern coast of Australia, the same place, incidentally, where you are most likely to encounter great white sharks. The cold and the sharks and the fact that the largest coral reef in the world can be found if one travels a wee bit further north (actually quite a lot further north, since Australia is quite large), probably explains why so few divers end up in the water here and why so few people ever get the opportunity to see these fabulous creatures. They are related to sea horses and pipefish and rather than relying on speed or a nasty bite for safety from predators, they rely on camouflage - well duh! On our first dive, I spent most of my time poking peices of seaweed, hoping one would turn out to be a leafy sea dragon. But alas no, on that dive anything that looked like seaweed actually was seaweed! All very disappointing. Luckily, on a later dive, the leafies had decided to come out of hiding and there they were, pootling around in open water right before our very eyes.


In a normal post, I would now start bombarding you (boring you?) with lots of very interesting, but generally quite useless information about the subject of my post. Well, I am not going to do that this week. I suspect that most of you are sighing a large sigh of relief, knowing that this post is nearly over and that you can get back to the rest of your life very shortly. For any that may be a tad disappointed - fear not, another post will be following shortly, all about the leafy sea dragon and the diving in South Australia. What, two posts in one week!?! I know, I know, but miracles do happen. Besides, who knows when I will actually get around to posting it........

For more Macro Monday, go here.

For other Faces of the Week, go here.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

those are beautiful pics - such detail! i used to have a little seahorse i kept in my pocket when i was little - of course it was dead and dried, but i considered it good luck! thanks for sharing at lisaschaos!

Sistertex said...

These are extremely beautiful photos. Fascinating - you *never* bore me...not at all.

Anonymous said...

Wow is an understatement. Fantastic creature and images!

Colleen said...

Wow indeed! These are my favorite little sea creatures. I will probably never see them in their natural habitat, but I enjoy them in aquariums. The second shot is gorgeous!

Vicki said...

Sea Dragons are amazing. I dive in Sydney where we sometimes find Weedy Sea Dragons which are smaller and less spectatular (but still wonderful)

Jama said...

For a second there I thought the first one was of a batik painting!

Kala said...

He's actually kind of cute!

Christina, Sweden said...

Yes that is certain a WOWfactor in that one! At first I thought it was a dead seahorse that weed had taken over in some strange way. Interesting and, your information is great so keep it coming :-)

Christina, sweden

Hootin Anni said...

Absolutely aMAZing!!!

I played Macro Monday for the 1st time today...can you come stop by? If you have some time.

Here

Shannara said...

That one really made me go WOW! =)

Anonymous said...

I went WOW when I saw your photo, I´ve never seen something like this before, GREAT!!!!

chasity said...

that is wow for sure...
it's hard to believe that things like that truly exist. amazing.

Anonymous said...

You're right... WoW! Those things are so cool - I visited my brother in Dallas a couple years ago & he took me to Dallas World Aquarium & we saw some of them there! I was so amazed at how delicate they are!

Suldog said...

That is a seriously interesting animal! Never heard of it before (or seen one, of course.) Amazing, and it couldn't possibly be boring to hear about it!

Jay said...

That takes the prize for the most spectacularly gorgeous photo of the week! Well, both of them do, but the first one, being first, has the impact!

And guess what? I knew what it was right away, despite never having seen one. Wanna know how? You'll laugh ... I've been playing Fishworld on Facebook, and they have them in there. LOL!

But I could tell it was related to seahorses just by looking at it. What a gorgeous little thing it is. And how fortunate you both were to be able to see them in the ocean!

"Lillagul" said...

You succed to Wow me too :)
Such great pictures on these creatures !

SquirrelQueen said...

That is definitely a Wow, great shots. What a fascinating creature, I would love to know more about them.

Sistertex said...

You are right these *do* make terrific 'Face of the Week' photos! As I said previously - these are marvelous and you never 'bore' me! :) Thank you so much for particpating in this week's 'Face of the Week'. Greatly appreciated. Enjoy the week!

Cortes said...

Quite marvelous! I would expect no less. Wonderful photos.

jabblog said...

What delicate little creatures. How lucky (for us) that you eventually found them and took such marvellous photographs.

Johnny Nutcase said...

these are freaking awesome! and yes, i said wow, maybe a couple times. Beautiful creatures and photos...wow! :)

Don't Bug Me! said...

Joseph: I knew a rabbit's foot was supposed to bring good luck, but a seahorse!?!

Sistertex: You are so sweet! I love it when you comment on my blog :o)

Awarewriter: Why thank you!

Colleen: When I find these creatures at an aquarium – well, don’t expect me to move on very quickly.

Vicki: We did also see some weedies on the dive – I kind of feel a bit sorry for them, since they are so outshone by the leafies.

Jama: I should try messing with it in photoshop – I suspect that I could come up with a great picture for my wall.

Kala: Ah, but then I think most animals are cute – except for ticks, and most spiders.

FB 2010: More info to follow shortly.......

Hootin: Once you start, you will never stop! All my posts seem to be Macro Monday post now.

Shannara: I told you it would!

Tina: Try finding one at an aquarium; it is worth going just to see one.

Chasity: They really were amazing – I am so glad we went back for a second look.

Tricia: Quite a few aquariums do have them now and they are definitely worth a visit.

Suldog: We shall see – come back later when I have a full story posted!

Jay: Now I am going to have to look up Fishworld. Who knew you could learn stuff via Facebook!

Lillagul: Thank you!

SQ: More info will follow shortly.

Cortes: One day I am going to disappoint you.

Jabblog: I really was excited when I finally found them – I squealed like a pig!

Johnny: Awesome – sometimes that word just works. Not often, but sometimes....