Sunday 2 May 2010

Macro Monday - Feeling a Little Bit Crabby.

Today, I am feeling a little bit crabby. It might have something to do with the fact that I was up at 4:30am to go birding (why, oh why do birds have to get up sooooo early!?!). It might also have something to do with the fact that I am now up to box number 93. Or perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I was up at 1am worrying about what faucets I should be installing in my new kitchen, whether it is really worth spending $25 per square foot for a glass tile backsplash and if I should get slate flooring in the mud room. Since I couldn't get to sleep and to stop me from obsessing about fireplaces and window treatments, I ended up reading my book - "Insomnia" by Stephen King. Thanks Cortes!

So, to go with my mood, here is a little crab - the sally lightfoot crab, Grapsus grapsus.



These crabs dance around the rocks on their tiptoes, easy to see, but difficult to catch. As you walk across the black, desolate rocks, you will find a wave of brilliant orange and flashing red fanning out before you as these crabs skitter and scurry away from you, always one step ahead. No matter how fast you are or how stealthily you stalk these cunnig and conniving crabs, the end result is nearly always the same - a gorgeous photograph of a rock where once a crab crouched. Obviously, I did manage to sneak up on a couple of rather sluggish and lethargic specimens and snap a couple of somewhat decent macro shots.


It is rumoured that these crabs are named after a nineteenth century night club dancer, who captivated, teased and tantalised her audience with a swirling red and yellow dress. Hmmm, I am not entirely sure that I would want a crab named after me. 



PS This is a little bit of a cheaty post, since these colourful crustaceans have appeared in a previous post. Oh well, I did mention that I was feeling a little bit crabby, didn't I?


For more Macro Monday, go here.
For more face of the Week, go here.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great stuff!!!

Cortes said...

A few more weeks of fitful sleep, and all will be well, although the novel may not last that long! Perhaps I can suggest another?

Wonderful photos, and in looking at the second photo, I think I know where the name "crab" came from. Such a look!

Kala said...

These are awesome!

Jayne said...

What great shots of very colourful little crabs. :)

B i r g i t t a said...

What a beauty! Wonderful macroshots and the color is so perfect :)

http://foto.rudenius.se/post/2010/05/03/Macro-Monday-e28093-White-Beauty.aspx

Baino said...

Aww pressure's on but just think of your lovely new house! I did resist the urge to go 'yum!'!

Hootin Anni said...

Absolutely beautiful...creepy looking creatures when they crawl around the beach, but still pretty. Make sense?

My macro is one of the best things in life....my grandson's teeny tiny hand at age 1.

Stop by if you can, I'd love your company today.

Daniela said...

He he , he is so cool :)

Anonymous said...

those are great, colorful photos! you captured some amazing detail in that little critter!

Dutchbaby said...

Based on your header and this post, it looks like we travel in the same circles. Your shots of the Sally-Lightfoots (Sally-Lightfeet?) are so much better than mine, but you've given me a great idea for a future Macro Monday. I have lots of shots of tree branches of where Darwin's finches used to be.

Amanda said...

love that last shot! All the best with the house remodel.

Amanda said...

love that last shot! All the best with the house remodel.

Sistertex said...

Regardless of how many times I see them they are just incredible. Such great shots. Thanks so much for including them in 'Face of the Week' this week. I greatly appreciate it! Cool stuff!

jay said...

Sally Lightfoot crabs are gorgeous, aren't they? Of course, I've never seen one, but going by your photos they are! Smashing shots, too, especially considering their nature.

Slate floor in the mud room? Great idea, but here's a handy hint - when choosing your tiles, put one down on the floor, splash water on it and check for slipperiness. Slate can be lethal when wet, unless it has a special finish. ;)

Bettey said...

What awesome color!!! Our crabs are a boring brown/grey here.

Dutchbaby said...

I can't help but chime in on remodeling details. Glass tile backsplash is gorgeous - go for it! I hear it's a little tricky to install so make sure you hire the best installer. As for the slate flooring in the mud room. We have slate on our front porch and find it a tad slippery when wet. Also, if it has an uneven surface, furniture may wobble around on it.

Don't Bug Me! said...

AW: Thank you.

Cortes: I hope it is only a few weeks, but I fear it will be more like months. I suspect I will need quite a few books to get me through it all.

Kala: Awesome indeed - the crabs of course, not my photos.

Jayne: Thank you.

Birgitta: Off to check out your macro shot........

Baino: You didn't - you just went yum! How could you!?!

Hootin: They are a little creepy, especially when they all scuttle off, sideways, clattering against the rocks. But yes, still pretty in a very different way.

Daniela: Very cool.

Joseph: It definitely helps when you have a good camera with a good lens.

DB: Oooh yes, I have lots of branches too and quite a few blurred shots of things that could be finches. Luckily, all the bigger stuff just sits there and looks at you, making them very easy to photograph.


Amanada: Thanks - let's just hope my contractor is as good as he is nice.

Sistertex: I made sure I chose a photo with a face this week, since my last one could not be included in your Face of the Week!

Jay: Thanks for the advice - I hadn't thought of that. I was just thinking about what would look nice. I normally count on Mr. DBM for the practical advice, but where the remodelling is concerned, he just shrugs and says that if I like it then it is fine by him (but can he see how much it is going to cost first, please).

HPB: They might not be as colourful, but I bet they are still pretty cool if you look real close.

DB: Glass tile it is - as long as Mr. DBM doesn't get wind of how expensive it is! I had noticed that some of the slate tiles are a bit uneven, but that is OK since we won't have any free standing furniture in the mudroom.

moon said...

Cool colours, and great shots ...

and you are a nerd x

jabblog said...

Sally Lightfoot - what a delightful name and as crabs go this is a very attractive one!

Suldog said...

Fascinating, as always. Are they in danger of being caught - by humans - because of their edibility?

Coffeedoff said...

That really is a face of the week!

Johnny Nutcase said...

excellent stuff! those colors are so stunning, really nice shots of this guy!

Carolina said...

Hmm, slate flooring and a glass tiled backsplash. I like it!

Oh, and the crabby creatures are wonderful too. Gorgeous colours and who couldn't love a crab called Grapsus grapsus. Or Sally Lightfoot.

;-)

Kate said...

I don't envy you the sleepless nights or the choosing of tiles!! When i choose something serious like that i usually end up changing my mind when its all too late!!!!

Nice photos!!! - no yums here!!! i'm not a shellfish eater!!!!